Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"He spent his last day singing."

The tragedy in Haiti grew more real every time I heard a personal story about a person who had died or lost friends and relatives. It's unfortunately true that sometimes the tragedy of others doesn't sink in until you hear the story of a person in whom you recognize yourself. It removes the distance.

Benjamin Larson's story brought it home for me this afternoon. He was a seminary student who died in Haiti while there with a group of future pastors teaching and helping support the Lutheran presence in Haiti. Read about his faith in life and death here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ten for Ten. Ten reasons it's great to be a pastor, in celebration of my 10 year anniversary of ordination.

I'm in there somewhere. I was ordained at Luther Place Memorial Church in Washington DC on November 10, 2007, ten years ago today. ...